I was chatting with my accountability group about how to get over a binge eating experience. Most of us have done it at one point, either for emotional comfort, boredom, or absent mindedness. So, how do you deal with the feelings after a binge session on your favorite junk food. Here is what works for me, or at least I do my best at practicing what I preach here on this blog. So here it goes,
1. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Don’t BEAT yourself up to the point that you just get more depressed and all you want to do is throw in the towel and eat another large pizza. One binge session isn’t going to make you fat. Now if you are doing it on a regular basis, then you do need to asses your situation. … see #2.
2. Identify the trigger. Why did this happen? OK, how will I better handle my actions when this happens or these feelings happen again?
3. Reach out to a friend or family member. Lay it out there, and tell someone. Holding it in as a secret might just consume you. You have support all around you!
4. Vow that today is a new day! A new chance to make better decisions and do the BEST you can! Don’t dwell on the past because you can’t change it. You are only in control of your actions in this moment!
5. Love yourself… Just be kind. This is kind of like # 1. Oh, and drink plenty of water the next day.